Vincent, Romeo & Rodriguez, LLC
Call Now, For Phone Consultation
Denver Metro Office 303-500-5859
Boulder County Office 303-720-7260

Can I contest guardianship in Colorado?

Guardianships can become necessary when an adult or child needs someone to protect them physically, mentally and financially. A child may need a guardian if his or her parents pass away or cannot provide care. An elderly person may need a guardian if he or she cannot make critical decisions or communicate wishes.

Considering the difficult circumstances under which the courts may appoint a guardian, it may not be surprising that some cases become contentious over the need for a guardian or the appointment of a specific guardian. In these situations, someone may contest guardianship.

Contesting a guardianship

Guardianship disputes can arise when a ward or other concerned parties feels that a guardian is not fulfilling his or her duties properly. In such cases, the courts may remove a guardian and issue fines and other penalties if he or she:

  • Did not comply with court orders
  • Failed to file required reports
  • Abused or neglected the ward
  • Moved away
  • Does not make decisions in the ward's best interests

If someone feels guardianship is no longer necessary, he or she may petition the courts to remove a guardian or terminate guardianship for certain reasons. In cases involving an adult ward in Colorado, these reasons could include relocation, improvement in the ward's health, or death.

Should I contest guardianship?

Contesting guardianship can be a complicated and contentious process. This can be especially true if the guardian is a family member. Asserting that he or she is acting improperly or failing to protect the ward's best interests are serious accusations that courts do not take lightly.

That said, removal of a guardian can be crucial in protecting someone who is being mistreated, neglected or manipulated at the hands of the person who is supposed to protect them.

Because this is a significant and potentially divisive issue, it can be wise to have legal support and guidance if you wish to contest guardianship. Such assistance can help you assess your options as well as the potential solutions, allowing you to make informed, careful decisions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Louisville Office
1805 Hwy. 42
Suite 100
Louisville, CO 80027

Phone: 303-720-7260
Fax: 303-604-6052
Louisville Law Office Map

Englewood Office
5460 South Quebec Street
Suite 333
Englewood, CO 80111

Phone: 303-500-5859
Fax: 303-723-8814
Englewood Law Office Map

Phone Numbers:
Phone Numbers:
    • Super Lawyers
    • Super Lawyers
    • ACTEC | The American College Of Trust And Estate Counsel
    • Top Lawyers 2015 | 5280
    • ACTEC | The American College Of Trust And Estate Counsel
    • Top Lawyers 2015 | 5280
    • Life Care Planning Law Firms Association
    • National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc
    • NELF | National Elder Law Foundation